.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, January 09, 2005

In Praise of Baking Soda

I cannot hope to duplicate the paean that Fr. Robert Farrar Capon wrote to baking soda (aka bicarbonate) in The Supper of the Lamb, but I am quite grateful for it at the moment, as it has saved me the trouble and expense of replacing my Le Creuset French oven (close to $200 retail).

I was making some Soybean Stuff and the tomatoes were juicy and I wanted to reduce the liquid some. I went into my room for a moment, got a phone call, and by the time I got off the phone (it wasn't a long call, but it was a few minutes), the bottom was entirely carbonized.

Three boilings with water and baking soda, two baking soda paste scrubs with a soft brush and elbow grease, and one overnight soak later, all the burnt stuff is off my pot. Yeehaw!

Baking soda: No kitchen should be without it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home