.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Roasted Tomatoes

Ever since I mentioned the deli roasted tomatoes (as an alternative during Non Real Tomato Season) on the Ship's recipe thread, and someone asked "recipe?", I've been trying to recreate them. Especially since the deli stocks them only sporadically.

I ran a tomato-off with two contrasting recipes: 400 F for 30 min and 200 F for 8 hours (!). I liked the 8 hr version much better, although it was a bit drier than I'm used to with the deli version.

Clotilde of Chocolate and Zucchini recently had a bit on "tomates confites" on her blog; she cooked them at 200 F for 3 hours, which I thought meant would mean more roasted tomatoes if I liked them. She also put 1 teaspoon of sugar on them as well as salt, pepper, and oil before they roasted.

I tried this out except the tomatoes roasted for 6 hours, not 3 (I didn't like how they looked at 3 hours). Then I (as usual) put them in a container with olive oil and crushed garlic. Last night I couldn't stop eating them as the pasta boiled, so this one is a winner. The spoonful of sugar really brought the sweetness out.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home