.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Roast Asparagus

I probably put this on this blog before I figured out how to do a recipe sidebar, back in the early days. I noted, when reading the first month's archive, that I talk through how to make my asparagus enchiladas, but I didn't start sidebaring until I started with the IMBB stuff.

But anyway. I'm semi-famous for this in some circles. Someone I know (who grows asparagus in his market garden) says that he introduced this to the cooks at his club and they now serve it labelled "Charlotte's Asparagus". It deserves to be widely known, whether or not you feel like attaching my name to it. I originally got it from Janet Fletcher's book, Fresh from the Farmer's Market. I start eating it the minute the first spring asparagus dips down to a price I'll pay (under $1.50/lb) and eat it constantly till the Washington asparagus gives out in June and I start anticipating Real Tomatoes.

I am making a bunch of this now for the enchilada filling. I would probably normally stir-fry a small amount but I am doing this in quantity.

Roast Asparagus

Preheat your oven to 450 F.

Wash asparagus spears and snap off the tough ends.

Get a cookie sheet with sides and lay the spears in a single layer on it. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over them (no more than 1 tablespoon for a panful) and shake salt/pepper over them. Mix the spears up with your hands so that the oil/salt is well distributed and lay the spears flat again.

Cook for 6-10 minutes (depends on thickness).

How much to cook depends on how much you can get and how much you like asparagus.

Comments:
Would love to try the asparagus enchiladas. Could you link to the archive with that description? I can't seem to find it.
 
Could you recommend some dipping sauce with roasted asparagus?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home