.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Tortilla Soup

My work schedule has been playing havoc with my determination to Waste Less Food recently, much to my distress.

But I was very pleased when A Plan Came Together and I was able to use up some of the broken tortillas that were part of the big bag I bought for the enchiladas. I had a bit of a sore throat and fancied some tortilla soup (aka Sopa Azteca, a stalwart of Picante Cocina Mexicana, where I first had this). I usually use stale commercial chips for this, but remembered that I can, indeed, fry up my own chips.

Soup and Sleep are Good Things!

This makes two huge (dinner-size) bowls. There are certainly more authentic ways to make it, but it's my Mexican penicillin.

Tortilla Soup (Sopa Azteca)

Per bowl: 1 large handful of tortilla chips - I fried up 2 corn tortillas for each and 1/2-1 avocado, cut into chunks. The chips can be stale but do not use raw tortillas.

Heat in saucepan:

1 can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
(you can doctor up regular tomatoes if you don't have the toms-and-chiles)
1 can chicken, or one cooked chicken breast, diced

till boiling.

Arrange tortilla strips and avocado chunks in bowl.

Pour soup over. Squeeze juice of 1/2 lime in each bowl. Eat.

Other traditional garnishes are finely chopped raw onions and Mexican oregano. Most "real" sopa azteca has cotijo or similar cheese. I left all of those out.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home